We are currently closed for submissions. Our next open submission period will be June 2019.
Raised Voice Press seeks complete creative nonfiction manuscripts between 100-250 pages from authors located in the United States writing in English.
Your manuscript must be completed before you submit to us. We are not accepting proposals or partially completed manuscripts at this time.
Your manuscript as a whole must not be previously published. It is okay if portions of your manuscript (i.e., individual essays or chapters) have been previously published, so long as you currently own the right to republish those portions.
What We’re Looking For:
We are interested in work that may be described using any of the following terms:
• creative nonfiction
• literary nonfiction
• narrative nonfiction
• imaginative nonfiction
• literary journalism
• lyric essay
• personal essay
• personal narrative
• literary memoir
We are interested in hybrid forms and essay collections. Please note, however, that we are not accepting anthology submissions or proposals at this time.
We are especially interested in working with authors whose life experience and/or literary work is outside what is considered mainstream and who have had difficulty making their voices heard.
What We’re Offering:
If your manuscript is accepted for publication, you can expect the following from us:
• royalties guaranteed by contract and paid quarterly
• an advance against future royalties of $200
• professional editing and proofreading of your manuscript
• professional cover and interior design, with your input
• a custom marketing plan for your book, developed in partnership with you
• 10 free print copies of your book
• the opportunity to purchase additional copies at a deeply discounted price, so that you can resell them for profit
• our continued support in helping your book find its audience
As a micro press with limited resources, we will expect you to actively participate in the promotion of your book, within your capabilities. We envision marketing as a true partnership between Raised Voice Press and our authors. In order to bring your voice to the most readers, we want to work with you in developing a plan that is well suited to your unique talents and your lifestyle.
How to Submit:
We accept submissions solely via email. Please send a query to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject YOUR LAST NAME – BOOK TITLE. Include the two items described below:
- A cover letter, no longer than one page, introducing yourself and describing your book.
- We’d like to know about your background and your writing journey, including any previous publications. Tell us also where you’re most comfortable on social media and whether you’re involved in any local literary activities. No need to oversell yourself—we’re open to all levels of education and experience.
- Include a 1-2 paragraph summary of your book. We want to understand how you envision the overall project, what you hope to have accomplished in writing it, and who you think its audience will be.
- Please tell us whether any portion of your manuscript has been previously published.
- Please tell us if this is a simultaneous submission.
- Your cover letter should be the text of your email. Please do not send your cover letter as an attachment.
- Your complete manuscript.
- This should be double-spaced in 12 pt. font with one inch margins.
- Please include your name and the book’s title in either the header or footer on every page.
- Please number your pages.
- Attach the full manuscript to your email as a single file in .doc, .docx, or .pdf format. Please name the file YOUR LAST NAME – BOOK TITLE.
We strive to respond within three months. Please notify us by replying to your original submission email if your manuscript is accepted elsewhere before we are able to respond to your query.
If you have any questions about submitting, please send them to email@example.com with the subject QUESTION and we will reply within one week.
Thank you for considering Raised Voice Press. We look forward to reading your work.